Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Secretary of Transporation and Motorcycle Safety

U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters describes herself as one of the many “baby-boomers” who returned to riding after years of parking their bikes while pursuing other interests. In August 2005, she suffered injuries after a crash on a two-lane highway just north of Tucson, Arizona. As Mrs.Peters explained:
"My husband and I were riding our bikes back home to Phoenix after visiting friends in Tucson. Now there is something of a disagreement in the Peters household about who was at fault. Let’s just say we miscommunicated. I ended up clipping his front tire, and went down.

I remember the moment I knew it was going to happen. But God is merciful, and the next memory I have, I was off the bike and lying on the pavement with a broken collar-bone. So as you can imagine, motorcycle safety is a subject that I take very personally and very seriously."

She returned to the scene of her accident to film a public service announcment that you can see by clicking below.

No comments: